Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

18 lbs of ground beef purchased for .99cent a lb



This week I lucked out at Kroger and purchased 6 3lbs rolls of ground beef on clearance for $2.99 each.  The cheapest I have been paying lately has been around $2.50lb.  I purchased all 6 rolls they had, as I could not pass up paying $17.94 for 18lbs of ground beef.  I placed them in the fridge and they next day, pulled them out to break them down into meal size portions:
I used one roll and made Salisbury steaks.  3 lbs made a total of 12 patties, which for my family is 3 meals.  I actually made Salisbury steak with 4 of them that night.  The picture is not great because I put all 4 patties on one plate and poured all of the gravy over them, so it is hard to see what they truly look like; however, they are delicious and I have been making this recipe for years.  Here is the recipe I use:  http://whatthehellers.blogspot.com/2013/03/salisbury-steak-with-mushrooms.html

I then used one roll and made 14 hamburgers.  We add onions, green peppers, 1 pack of onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce to our burgers.  We do not measure ingredients as we add, so I have not added this recipe to my blog, it is up to everyone's family taste as to what and how much they add to hamburgers.  We divided up the burgers into 3 packs of 4 burgers and 1 pack of 2 burgers:
For the Salisbury steaks and burgers above, I put them in the freezer on a baking sheet to freeze until firm before I put in freezer bags, so they hold their shape.

I weighed out 5 bags of raw ground beef into 1 1/2lb meal portions.  I also cooked up 4 lbs of ground beef with onions and peppers, so I would have quick starters for dinners.  I portioned up this into 2 packs.





I broke up 18lbs of meat into 12 Salisbury Steaks, 14 hamburger patties, 5 1 1/2lb packs of raw meat, 2 2lbs packs of cooked ground beef.  This will be 14 meals, with leftovers for my family, not bad for under $18!  This took me about 1 1/2 hours to repackage, but this will last us several months.


No comments:

Post a Comment