Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms

First, I want to apologize because the pictures did not come out great, because I put all 4 Salisbury Steaks on 1 plate, dumped all of the gravy over them and then took a picture. I thought I had taken another picture on the plate with just one steak, but when I sat down to post, realized I did not have the picture.  I will update the picture the next time I make these for dinner.

Ingredients:
2 onions, divided
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs*
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoons cornstarch, blended with 1/2 cup water
1 beef bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon beef base
1/8 teaspoon pepper 

Servings: 4 Salisbury Steaks.  These salisbury steak patties are pretty big, so you could make smaller ones by making 5 or 6 patties per pound, if you prefer. 

Directions:
*I make my own breadcrumbs and this time put some potato hamburger rolls in the food processor, which added a nice taste. I also, make bread crumbs with any other leftover bread and store any leftovers in the freezer.  I mix all leftover breadcrumbs into one bag for a nice mix of flavor.   
 
Mince 1/2 an onion(or chop fine), mix with ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, and nutmeg.  Shape into 4 patties, and saute in a skillet until cooked.  Once cooked, remove patties from skillet and keep warm. Drain fat from pan.

Slice remaining onions.  Saute onions and mushrooms in butter until tender.  

Add cornstarch mixture and bouillon to onion mixture.  Cook and thicken on low. I was running low on time and energy the day I made these and used a jar of mushroom gravy in place of the cornstarch, water, and bouillon.  Both work fine, in fact you can also make powdered gravy for this step as well. 

Add pepper and spoon onto steaks.

This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze for a quick dinner.  I tripled the recipe and made 12 salisbury steaks out of 3 pounds of ground beef:
  I made up the patties and then put them on a baking sheet to freeze until firm.  Once frozen, I packaged 4 patties per pack and labeled for future dinners.  To make from frozen, start with above directions to saute the patties in the skillet and continue with recipe.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment